Thursday, March 12, 2009

Update: Just a few days in

Okay, so far my $2500 investment looks like this:

Name                # Shares   Price Each    Total Paid
Corning (GLW) 70 $11.83 $828.10
General Electric (GE) 30 $9.50 $285.00
Microsoft (MSFT) 100 $16.95 $1695.00
Cash left in account $18.45
-------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL $2826.55
I'm fairly happy. My only regrets so far is that I didn't put more into GE and Corning, but that is life I suppose. I only have so many funds to go around.

I read about and think I understand the term "p/e" now.

I learned what a "drip" is, and set it up with my broker. Since GE is currently still providing really nice dividends, it makes sense to me.

I'm in it for the long haul with these stocks. I don't expect to make any real money without A) a more substantial investment, and B) probably 5+ years of investment time.

After I save up more money to invest, I will be putting more into these and possible lower priced stocks. It seems to me the real money is finding that low-priced stock where you can afford hundreds or thousands of shares. (I won't use the term "penny stock" because from my reading, that has an incredibly negative connotation, and I am not looking for a thirty-cent stock that'll make me rich by next week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment